Saturdayland Scratch (Online)
Saturdayland Scratch (Online)
(Online) 1.5 hours X 10 weeks
Suitable for Beginners
Kids who have started learning ABC and basic phrases like "How are you?"
(Introductory offer: 40,500 yen)
In this course for Saturdayland, kids will play the role of the director of Studioland, a location/subset of Saturdayland.
Here at Studioland, kids will create their own stories and adventures through code. They will learn how to use Scratch as their creative studio and learn the fundamental basics for creating projects on Scratch.
Along the way, they will learn English phrases and vocabulary that are commonly used in Scratch and in turn showed how these words can also be used in day to day English. Students and instructors will work closely in English, discussing their plans for their projects, communicating what they want to build and finally sharing the creation with their friends.
In Saturdayland, our students would be exposed to continuous stimulus that can help them improve their English vocabulary and also confidence to use the language.
No coding experience necessary
In depth intro to block-based programming
Learn English through coding
Scratch is free online! Continue the learning at home
What You'll Learn
- Introduction to Scratch & its interface
- Code a character and move it around
- Sequences, loops and events
- Increase complexity with Conditions and Variables
- Add timers, life counters and scores
- Broadcast messages
- Test and debug using logic and systematic reasoning
- Learn to understand English through completing the coding tasks.
- Learn new vocabulary and talk about projects we created for each day
- Use coding concepts to explore English conversations.
- Task-based learning – Learn English by communicating with instructors and getting frequent exposure to vocabularies needed to complete tasks.
1. My child is new to computers and programming. Will he / she be able to follow?
Of course! Start with Scratch is our recommended introduction to programming course for kids 7 and up. Most of our students come in with no prior programming knowledge and still make awesome projects at the end of the day.
2. My child has done some Scratch programming at school. Should he/she still attend this course?
If you’re not too sure how much your child knows about Scratch programming, email us a link to your child’s Scratch profile and we can take a look and advise you.
3. My child is younger than 7. Can he/she join?
Scratch was designed for 7-10 year olds but is used by people of all ages. Sadly, having a 6 year old in the same class as a 10 year old may not result in the best learning environment for the younger student. If your child is very keen, we can organise separate classes if there is a minimum of 3 participants. Please contact us directly to enquire.
4. I’ve enrolled my child, what will he/she need for the class?
Classes will be conducted via Zoom conferencing. Your child will need a laptop/desktop computer with a webcam/video conferencing and their microphone enabled. We will be using password secured classrooms which will be locked once the class has begun.
There is a no iPad policy for our online classes.