Journeys in Scratch: Create Your World With Code (Online)
Book hereStart a Class
(Online) Two half courses of 4 days, 2 hours per day
Requires Start with Scratch: Adventures in Time or equivalent block-based programming experience
Intermediate to Fluent (Eiken Level 3 or higher)
(Introductory offer: 21,500 yen)
Important note to parents:
Journeys in Scratch is an intermediate Scratch course where students deepen their understanding of previously learned concepts through practicing and applying these concepts to different contexts. Students joining the course are expected to come in with prior experience in Scratch.
If this is your child’s first time learning Scratch, or if your child has fewer than 16 hours of Scratch classroom learning, we ask that you instead enrol your child in our foundational Start with Scratch [link] course, which comprehensively covers the concepts your child will need to join this Journeys with Scratch intermediate course – and build a solid understanding from which your child can continue their programming journey creatively, confidently and independently.
In order to maintain a consistent learning pace for all students, any student enrolling in Journeys in Scratch without prior experience will be asked to transfer to a more appropriate course.
Kindly note that participation in other programming and robotics courses (including non-Scratch Saturday Kids courses such as Marvelous Machines and Mechanisms, Code and Invent with micro:bit Block Editor, Bring Your Lego to Life with Code, and Mod & Hack 3D Games with Minecraft and Kodu) cannot count as fulfilling the Scratch prerequisite due to the very different concepts learnt in each class.
So you’ve just discovered your Scratch superpowers? What will you do next with them? As with learning any new skill or language (or power!), practice makes progress. Practice your newfound coding skills with a series of up to 4 projects aimed at helping you get your superpowers under control!
Choose between 2 groups of projects to work on.
(A) Creative Bundle: Get creative coding up your own chatbot, designing out of this world games, and trying your hand at digital art!
1. Program a chatbot with Scratch!
2. Catch some ghosts and join the Ghostbusters crew!
3. How do you send a rocket from the Earth to the moon? Find out more with this exciting project!
4. Try your hand at digital art!
(B) Inventive Bundle: Get exploring as you code up a calculator and design a variety of games that’ll take you underwater and into outer space!
1. Create a simple calculator to solve complex mathematical problems!
2. Help your diver collect all the plastic trash in the ocean, but be careful to avoid the inhabitants of the underwater world!
3. Build a football game with Scratch!
4. Avoid the asteroids!
Ain’t no virus gonna stop us! Keep the learnin’ going with our series of guided Scratch projects – our instructors will walk your kids through the process of building these fun projects and get their coding superpowers ready for the next challenge thrown their way!
Your child will require:
- A working mic and webcam, in order to participate in the class and for our instructor to check their understanding
- Internet speed of 25Mbps or above. You can check your internet speed here: https://www.speedcheck.org/sg
- Familiarity with basic computer functions, such as: typing on a keyboard, using a mouse, switching between desktop apps and navigating a browser (opening a new tab, entering URLs)
- For students age 5-6, and 7-10, we also recommend that you have an adult member of your household standing by for the first 45 mins of Lesson 1 to assist with any technical difficulties that may arise.
Apply fundamental Scratch concepts to a variety of fun projects
Guided learning through a choice of 4 thematic projects
Requires Start with Scratch (either the online or offline courses)
What You'll Learn
Creative application of the concepts learnt in Start with Scratch such as:
- Sequences, loops and events
- Increase complexity with Conditions and Variables
- Add timers, life counters and scores
- Broadcast messages
- Test and debug using logic and systematic reasoning
- Design Thinking
- Logical Thinking
- Presentation Skills
- Problem Solving
1. My child is new to computers and programming. Will he / she be able to follow?
Experience in Scratch is required to take part in and to follow this course.
2. My child has done some Scratch programming at school. Should he/she still attend this course?
If you’re not too sure how much your child knows about Scratch programming, please email us a link to your child’s Scratch profile and we’ll be glad to advise you accordingly.
3. My child is younger than 7. Can he/she join?
Scratch was designed for 7-10 year olds but is used by people of all ages. Sadly, having a 6 year old in the same class as a 10 year old may not result in the best learning environment for the younger student. If your child is very keen, we can organise separate classes if there is a minimum of 3 participants. Please contact us directly to enquire.
4. I’ve enrolled my child, what will he/she need for the class?
Classes will be conducted via Zoom conferencing. Your child will need a laptop/desktop computer with a webcam/video conferencing and their microphone enabled. We will be using password secured classrooms which will be locked once the class has begun.
There is a no iPad policy for our online classes.