Curious Critters (Online)
Curious Critters (Online)
For preschoolers new to the world of code, learn basic computational thinking to tell your favourite stories creatively through Scratch Jr!
(Online) Summer Camp (5 days x 1 week x 45 mins/lesson)
Total 3hrs 45mins
Suitable for Beginners
Understanding of basic instructions OR chaperone attending
In this 5-day (45 minutes per day) introductory course to programming, we will be going on a journey with a very hungry caterpillar to explore basic concepts in programming!
Through bite sized daily lessons (45 minutes each) designed to match preschoolers’ attention span and interests, kids will co-operate and collaborate with their classmates to narrate Eric Carle’s classic storybook – The Very Hungry Caterpillar – through code, using Scratch Junior!
By the end of this short course, preschoolers will learn not just about curious critters like caterpillars, but discover how to apply code to create animations and tell stories of their choosing.
This 5-day class will be held online via Zoom; a set of printed worksheets will be needed and students will need access to an iPad or Laptop with webcam, microphone and wi-fi capabilities.
Required materials for class:
- A working mic and webcam, in order to participate in the class and for our instructor to check their understanding
- A printer to print out accompanying worksheets (black and white is fine)
- Scissors and glue. Note for parents: if you feel your child is not able to use scissors and glue independently, please be available to assist. Activities involving scissors and glue will take place during Lessons 2, 3 and 5
No experience necessary: Recommended starting course for kids 4+
Kids collaborate, co-operate and get creative online in their first taste of coding!
What You'll Learn
- Computational thinking
- Fundamentals of programming through Scratch Jr
- How programming concepts can be applied beyond computers
- Logical Thinking
- Problem Solving
1. My child is new to computers and programming. Will he / she be able to follow?
This course is targeted at kids ages 5-6 without any prior programming experience. Our objective is to introduce introduce them to the computers and coding in an enjoyable, creative, and accessible way, and we’ve designed our curriculum for kids to have fun and get inspired while they learn, leaving them hungry to learn even more!
2. My child has some exposure to coding at school. Should he/she still attend this course?
This is an introductory course for kids with no programming background. We will be focusing on the basics of Scratch Jr, and we encourage kids who have already learned Scratch Jr to explore our other courses for preschoolers: Curious Cubs and Tiny Techies.
3. My child is younger than 5 years old . Can he/she join?
Unfortunately we are not able to accommodate students younger than 5.
4. My child does not speak English, will it matter?
This class will be conducted entirely in English. Kids will be required to comprehend basic instructions in English, or to have the help of a parent chaperone throughout class.
5. I’ve enrolled my child, what will he/she need for the class?
Classes will be conducted via Zoom conferencing. Your child will need a laptop/desktop computer with a webcam/video conferencing and their microphone enabled. We will be using password secured classrooms which will be locked once the class has begun. Please also refer to the list of requirements above.
Specifically for this class, since the kids are not doing any programming, an iPad can also be used to participate in class.