Rock Out With Banana Guitar Hero
One time workshop
Suitable for Beginners
Suitable for Beginners to Eiken Level 3
We bet you’ve never heard your favourite tunes played this way before… Connect everyday fruits to the computer using circuits, then sync your actions to the music and rock out!
Inspired by popular video game Guitar Hero, Rock Out With Banana Guitar Hero uses colourful fruits, alligator clips and Quirkbot to create a playable controller to play a music rhythm game. Glimpse how technology and music can converge using your creativity!
Our English themes for this workshop are inspired by colours, fruits and vegetables! From yellow bananas to red apples and green cucumbers – learning English has never been so memorable (or delicious)!
Introduction to Circuits
How can fruits and vegetables be used as controllers? Kids learn the science behind electronic circuits: about loops and flow, and conductive and insulative materials. Learn more about the circuits around us – how many can you spot?
Creative Technology & Game Design
Ever wondered how your favourite arcade game works? Explore some of the basic principles behind popular rhythm games, then get hands-on in assembling your own fruit and vegetable controllers!
Practice English in a fun, immersive environment
Yellow banana, red apple, green cucumber – press the right object to hit the right notes! A fun way to remember all your colours, and the names of fruits and vegetables… and rock out with friends in a fruit music battle!
What You'll Learn
The road to mastering programming is long, but adventure awaits at every corner! For kids and parents curious about programming, this bite-sized 90 min workshop offers a fun, hands-on introduction to robotics and programming as they learn about the world of circuits, electricity and coding:
- Introduction to circuits and electricity: How do electrical circuits work and how do you assemble your own?
- Understand game mechanics: How do your favourite arcade games work and what makes them so fun?
- English you can use in everyday life: Learn and practise English words related to fruits and colours with fun and encouraging instructors
What You'll Create
Build your own fully functional electrical circuits using wires, clips.. and fruits? Connect them to the computer to make a working controller and play your favourite tunes!
Once you’ve mastered Banana Guitar Hero, think of how else you can apply circuits to control the technology around you. Who knows, maybe you’ll invent the next hit arcade game!
Sample Lesson Flow
- Introduction to thematic target English through flashcards, videos and stories
- Practice listening and speaking with level-specific worksheet
Coding and Tinkering Time!
- Introduction to thematic coding concepts
- Build, code and experiment!
Sharing and Wrap-up!
- Review and sharing of the coding and English you learned
- Creative exercise
- Continue the learning at home, with videos and (optional) parent-child activities!
“At Saturday Kids, we’ve seen how quickly kids learn when they are playing. In this workshop, we wanted to take play to the next level - by making kids active creators of their game, and by inspiring them to see how music and technology can come together creatively! It’s a great way to get them excited about the possibilities of technology and programming! ”
Ainaa Sakinah, Instructor
What Comes After
Make the most of your holidays! Rock Out With Banana Guitar Hero gets kids excited about the world of coding, robotics, electronics and English – and complements our other 2-hour workshops – Sphero Super(post)man : Deliver the Mail, Save the Day! and Race Your Robots – Fast and Furious Strawbees Crawlers – which cover different aspects of coding and thematic English vocabulary!
Keep the fun and learning going! Kids hungry for another dose of our fun-packed creative coding workshops can also join our Saturdayland: Build Your World with Coding and English program, consisting of regular weekly 90 minute classes. Build more complex robots with Strawbees, and learn the important concepts behind Scratch – the world’s most popular introductory coding language for kids. Later lessons in the Saturdayland series will cover micro:bit, creative computing, advanced Scratch… and much more!
Kids who graduate from the Saturdayland program will be:
- Well versed in intermediate to advanced block-based programming
- Familiar with the basics of electronics, robotics and making
- Able to understand and speak English more naturally, at a level above their peers
- A joyful English learner, seeing English as fun, easy to learn and relevant to everyday life