Back to Basics: From Zeroes to Python Heroes
(Online Camp) 3.25 hours X 5 days
Suitable for Beginners
Intermediate to Fluent (Eiken Level 3 or higher)
How well do you really know a computer? From understanding your computer inside out, learning about binary (the language computers speak) to touch typing in the most efficient way ever – It’s time to go back to basics.
All you need to know
You can pretty much code anything with Python but let’s start off with the basics by learning about binary code and how they work. Take a stab at figuring out how to convert binary numbers into code and vice-versa.
Think of all the secret messages you’ll be able to send your siblings and friends with binary code :p
You’ll also be building simple projects with your code. Like this calculator.
And you’ll be taking your first steps to writing your own code and some debugging.
Apply your knowledge of modules and coordinates to unleash turtle drawing mayhem! You’ll be able to create infinite geometrical shapes and code your turtle to become your very own tiny Picasso.
With the solid basic programming concepts you’ll learn from Python, you’ll be able to pick up other programming languages in the future. So let your journey to programming awesomeness begin!
Your child will require:
- A working mic and webcam, in order to participate in the class and for our instructor to check their understanding
- Internet speed of 25Mbps or above. You can check your internet speed here: https://www.speedcheck.org/sg
- Familiarity with basic computer functions, such as: typing on a keyboard, using a mouse, switching between desktop apps and navigating a browser (opening a new tab, entering URLs)
No experience necessary
An introduction to basic computer science concepts
Code like a real programmer with a text-based language!
Create interesting games you can play with your friends and family
What You'll Learn
- Binary: how computers run on 1s and 0s
- Write your first lines of Python code using repl – an online programming interface that doesn’t require any installation
- Explain basic programming concepts (algorithm, conditionals, data structures, data types, functions, loops, variables)
- Create programs using Python
- Write a detailed step-by-step set of instructions which explains how to solve a problem (pseudo code)
- Understand and practice working with the Command Line Interface (CLI)
- Creative Confidence
- Logical Thinking
- Presentation Skills
- Problem Solving
1. My child is new to computers and programming. Will he / she be able to follow?
The Back to Basics: Zeroes to Python Heroes course is designed with the assumption that students have no prior background or experience in programming. All students new to programming are more than welcome.
2. My child is younger than 11. Can he / she join?
The Back to Basics: Zeroes to Python Heroes course is recommended for kids who are 11 and above. If your child is new to programming, we recommend enrolling in our Start with Scratch course first.
3. I’ve enrolled my child, what will he/she need for the class?
Classes will be conducted via Zoom conferencing. Your child will need a laptop/desktop computer with a webcam/video conferencing and their microphone enabled. We will be using password secured classrooms which will be locked once the class has begun. Please also refer to the list of requirements above.