Join straws to create 3D shapes, structures like bridges and towers. Learn the engineering concepts that makes a bridge structurally stable and how everyday mechanisms work. Then combine it with the Quirkbot, a tiny computer to power your mechanisms… AND your robots!
- Solid Introduction into the world of Engineering, Hardware & Robotics
- Requires Start with Scratch: Adventures in Time or Equivalent block-based programming experience
All you need to know
This is a Strawbee.
Join colourful reusable straws of varying lengths to learn about engineering to create Basic 3D shapes, like the tetrahedron, cube…
to Marvelous Structures & Mental Mechanisms.
But wait, there’s more! This is a Quirkbot. And we think it’s the… straw that’s gonna get you signing up!
It’s a mini computer that’s small in size but HUGE in versatility! Program in a familiar block programming interface that’s applied to a wholly new context.
Combine it with Strawbees to…
Create fantastic lantern light shows…
Connect a servo motor to power complex engineering mechanisms to create your robot.
So don’t keep grasping at… straws. We’ll see you at the intersection of engineering and computer programming that is robotics.
PS: No straws were harmed in the design of this course. All straws are 100% recyclable, reusable and are reused. Strawbees & Quirkbot sold separately.
Oh! The stuff you'll learn
- Introduction to Strawbees
- Building in 2D & 3D Shapes
- Structures & Stability
- Introduction to Quirkbot: a microcontroller
- Understanding Inputs & Outputs
- Mechanical Mechanisms
- Controlling Servo Motors
- Sandbox & Free Building
Life skills you'll learn
|Recommended Age Group||7-9|
|Lesson Schedule||4 classes/month, held weekly
Classes last 90 mins each, and 12 classes are required to complete the course
|Course Fee||Lesson fee: ¥16,000/month (before tax)
Equipment fee: ¥4,000/month (before tax)
1) 5% off total course fees for siblings or friends signing up together
2) 5% off total course fees for sign ups before May 15, 2019
The above discounts may be combined for a maximum total discount of 10%.
Once applied, the discounts will be extended to all 12 lessons within the course.
*Maximum of 6 students per class
*Payment can be made by bank transfer or credit card
Frequently Asked Questions
1. My child is younger than 7, can he/she join this course?
It is recommended that your child try their hand at one of our courses that is aimed at the 5 to 6 age group.
2. My child has not taken Start with Scratch: Adventures in Time. Can he/she join this course?
It is highly recommended that the child has prior background in block based programming.
3. Isn’t it environmentally unfriendly, especially with the whole no straws movement?
The No Straws movement is a campaign against single-use straws. Strawbees construction pipes are reusable, 100% recyclable & are a way of repurposing existing materials that would otherwise be thrown away.
4. What’s up with the Straw puns?
Guess you drew the short… straw getting this writer. I promise it’s gonna be the last…